Saturday, April 25, 2009

Gabor Szabo - Dreams [1968 - Hungary]

My top discovery of 2008, Gabor Szabo has truly changed the way I think about music. Combining mysterious folk melodies of Eastern Europe with Western jazz, he creates a unique style of his own.
I decided to check out Gabor Szabo after realizing that some of my favorite hip-hop tracks featured samples from him. He has loads of albums, but Dreams is the one that got me hooked. Check out the first track "Galatea's Guitar," it's beyond sick! Once the beat drops, it sounds like a hip-hop instrumental written 30 years ahead of it's time. And the final track "Ferris Wheel" is just beautiful, it makes my heart heavy every time I listen to it.
Gabor Szabo passed away in 1983, but I'm glad that his music has now become part of my life.
Enjoy!

download

8 comments:

Vinyl Richy said...

Yo your blog is sick great ish!

Matías said...

Great! Greetings from Paraguay :)

Alvaro Disorder said...

thanks for the link, great music, greetings from Chile

Dewialun Griffiths said...

Well..stumbled across this on you tube and ended up on your blog...thanks for leaving a link...its well cool! (Y)

Anonymous said...

thank you very much :)

fabíola de andrade borges said...

thanks! <3

Charly Music said...

Discover this album through Youtube. Decided to download and found your blog. Thanks.

dreamer or die said...

I am here because of a youtube rabbit hole that introduced me to this album. I love the secret chiefs 3 and the dreamers. thanks for sharing!